St. John the Evangelist Parish was originally established in the 1930’s. Located in the Greenwood neighborhood in Seattle, the church campus has five distinct masonry structures. There were three primary goals set by the parish for this project: restoring a 1960’s renovation of the church to its original condition and bringing it to seismic code; renovating outdated mechanical, electrical, and window systems; and redesigning the church interior to accommodate current liturgical norms, including the creation of a new altar and tabernacle.
Historic woodwork and stonework were incorporated into new liturgical furniture and historic lighting, paint, and ceiling finishes were restored to celebrate the original design. The small north and south bays of the church were enhanced to create a new transept crossing, focusing on the relocated altar and sanctuary platform. The new, multidirectional sanctuary platform allows for adaptable orientation, depending on the type and size of the service.